Minutes from the Steering Committee that convened after the LRC Pre-session to the 2012 Convocation of Teaching Theologians
Present: David Rhoads, Lisa Dahill, Jim Schaal, Cynthia Moe-Lobeda, Mark Brocker, Barbara Rossing, Dan Brunner, Jim Martin-Schramm, Gil Waldkoenig (recording)
Chairperson Discussion – Lisa Dahill and Gil Waldkoenig will co-chair for 2012-13 academic year.
The Steering Committee will meet again by conference call to determine priorities and choose steps. The conference call will happen this fall on OCTOBER 4 at 4:00 PM EST.
Items named for consideration at the first conference call:
- Are Green Teams in place at every seminary, who are the contacts, and does each have a board member, administrator, faculty and students?
- Blessed Earth Seminary Stewardship Alliance & GreenFaith Seminary Certification Program are emerging networks. Brunner & Waldkoenig will attend a BE SSA conference in September and report to this committee. Same individuals were GreenFaith Fellows and will be able to report GreenFaith Seminary Certification developments when they take next steps.
- Meeting again in person – money to do so; grant-writing
- Disciplines profiles for LRC web site. Ecological hermeneutics in biblical studies, environmental ethics in theological ethics, eco-theology, ecological spirituality, environmental history and religion
- Challenge to seminaries – goals benchmarks. Compare Presidents Climate Commitment among colleges/universities http://rs.acupcc.org/
- Bishops Ready Bench on Environment – involve them in this group
- Deans and presidents meetings – get the agendas, get on the agendas
- Stories, case studies, interesting news for LRC web site
- Facebook page for LRC – get students to jump-start
- Other key people to involve: Richard Perry, John Spangler, Sam Giere, Kathryn Schifferdecker
Meeting adjourned with much hope for support and collaboration across the several institutions and departments of ELCA-related theological education.