Season of Creation Retreat: February 22 and 23 at Camp Hiawatha
Northeast Minnesota Synod
Friday, Feb 22, 2013
Evening opening worship - TBA
Season of Creation overview – Krehl
Team building - Joel
First Sunday in the Season of Creation: Lakes Sunday – Dave & Rosie
Saturday, Feb 23, 2013
Morning Sundays in the Season of Creation – Dennis (as general resource person)?
Second Sunday: Fauna Sunday – Tom, Vicki (& Anders?)
Third Sunday: Storm Sunday – Kristin, Mark
Fourth Sunday: Cosmos Sunday – Krehl (& Steve?)
Afternoon Relationships and resources
· Lutherans Restoring Creation – Mark
· Additional Resources – All
Congregational Planning – Kristin
Sending worship - TBA
Walk through each of the four or five Sundays of the Season of Creation for the year of Luke.
Consider approaching each Sunday in multiple ways, starting with mini-presentations from the team and then providing one or two small group/team reflection times for each session. It might look like this
Do the Season of Creation overview on Friday evening before or after team building.
Do 3 or possibly 4 seasons on Saturday morning, 45 minutes each.
Season of Creation Overview: The Wisdom series from Luke
1. The three year season of creation cycle
2. Year of Luke perspectives: the Wisdom tradition
3. Preview/intro on science, art, music
1. Sing a related hymn and one piece of the Dakota road earthkeeping liturgy
2. Assign people/volunteers to read the lectionary readings to the whole group
3. Small group discussion #1 – diving into the lectionary
4. Share insights, mini-presenter draw from those and highlight anything else
5. Science and/or other contemporary perspective on the topic
6. Small group discussion #2 – Worship possibilities, including art and music
7. Large group sharing
8. Youth, education, and outreach possibilities – seed with some ideas, then back to small groups/teams
· The lectionary
This way the “congregational planning” piece would be an ongoing process, and then provide some wrap-up planning time toward the end of the retreat.
Series C: The Wisdom Series
Wisdom is a deep impulse within all parts of creation, designing their mysteries, guiding their purposes, and mentoring their functions. The Wisdom series correlates with the Luke series of the church year.
This retreat is a model for grassroots leadership in the congregations of our synod and will be led by the whole creation care team, including:
+Joel Abenth (Voyageurs Lutheran Ministry)
+Anders Meier (Camp Onamia)
+Pr. Mark Peters (Lutheran Coalition for Public Policy in MN)
+Pr. Krehl Stringer (Faith United, Iron)
+Rosie Loeffler-Kemp (Good Shepherd, Duluth)
+Pr. Kristin Foster (Messiah, Mt. Iron)
+Tom Uecker (Gloria Dei, Duluth)
+Pr. David Carlson (Gloria Dei, Duluth)
+Pr. Vicki Taylor (Northeastern MN Synod)
… we hope to include you!