Learn with Others in Online Community Across the Nation:
Connections between People and Nature
Christ the King Evangelical Lutheran Church in Houston invites you to attend Conversations on Creation, an educational web meeting series whose theme in 2017 is: Connections between People and Nature.
Invasive Species : Feb. 26, 6 p.m. Central
We often think of people and nature and separate entities. Yet we humans depend on the natural world in many ways and, in turn, impact nature through our activities. At the February 2017 web meeting, we welcome Professor Scott Solomon from Rice University, Biosciences, who will speak on Invasive Species. In his talk, he will examine one specific way in which humans affect the natural world: by transporting species around the world, we are creating powerful adversaries that impact not only native species but ourselves as well. Professor Solomon is a biologist and science writer who teaches ecology, evolutionary biology, and scientific communication. He recently published his first book, Future Humans: Inside the Science of Our Continuing Evolution. Professor Solomon will address Connections between People and Nature from the perspective of biosciences on Sunday, Feb. 26 at 6 p.m. After his talk, there will be time for Q&A. If you would like to join this online conversation, please register at www.eventbrite.com (search for “Connections between People” in Houston, TX) and you will receive an invitation to the web meeting.
Journey of the Universe : Feb. 27, 6:30 – 8 p.m. central – Film screening
Follow-up Educational Series/Conversations: most Mondays & Fridays thru Apr. 17, 6:30 – 8 p.m. Central
www.eventbrite.com (search for Journey of the Universe in Houston, TX) if you will attend any session, whether attending in person or online. Join us on the journey of the universe! See details below.
If you would like to join this online conversation, contact Lisa Brenskelle at email@example.com to register.
Educational Series Details:
· Mar. 3 Beginning of the Universe & Galaxies Forming Joel Primack, Distinguished Professor of Physics, UC-Santa Cruz & Todd Duncan, Science Integration Institute
· Mar. 6 The Emanating Brilliance of Stars & Birth of the Solar System Joel Primack, Distinguished Professor of Physics, UC-Santa Cruz & Todd Duncan, Science Integration Institute & Craig Kochel, Geology Dept., Bucknell University
· Mar. 20 Life’s Emergence & Learning, Living, and Dying - Terry Deacon, Anthropology Dept., UC-Berkeley & Ursula Goodenough, Biology Dept., Washington University
· Mar. 24 The Passion of Animals & The Origin of the Human - Scott Sampson, Utah Museum of Natural History & Melissa Nelson, American Indian Studies, San Francisco State University & John Grim, School of Forestry & Environmental Studies, Yale University
· Mar. 27 Becoming a Planetary Presence & Transition - Cynthia Brown, Dominican University of California & Mary Evelyn Tucker, Forum on Religion & Ecology, Yale University
· Mar. 31 Breakthrough Communities & Eco-Cities - Carl Anthony, Breakthrough Communities & Richard Register, Ecocity Builders
· Apr. 3 Ecological Economics & Permacultures Richard Norgaard, Energy & Resources Program, UC-Berkeley & Penny Livingston, Regenerative Design Institute
· Apr. 7 Indigenous Ways of Knowing & Sustainable Energy Nancy Maryboy, Indigenous Education Institute & David Begay, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Northern Arizona University & Paula Gonzalez, EarthConnection
· Apr. 10: Healing and Revisioning & Arts and Justice - Belvie Rooks, Growing a Global Heart & Marya Grathwohl, Earth Hope & Drew Dellinger, Planetize the Movement
· Apr. 17 Myths, Metaphors, and Identities & Teaching Journey of the Universe - Sachiko Kawaura, Dept. of Psychology & Human Relations, Nanzen University & Nancy Abrams, author, The New Universe & the Human Future & Bindu Hamanty, teacher & Tom Collins, Religion & Philosophy Dept., The Lawrenceville School