PERSONAL COVENANT WITH CREATION
Lutherans Restoring Creation
Every action has consequences on other humans and on the earth. Become aware of the outcome of your actions, reduce your impact on others, and walk lightly on Earth. Consider these practices to be a spiritual discipline.
I pledge to work toward the following environmentally safe practices:
● ____Learn about the environmental crisis and ecological justice.
● ____Read about or join a study group fostering voluntary simplicity.
2. GREEN YOUR LIVING SPACE
● ____Alternative energy: solar/ geothermal/ purchase wind from your energy company.
● ____Purchase Energy Star appliances (refrigerator, dishwasher, washer/dryer, water
heater, dehumidifier) and high efficiency furnace, air conditioner, and windows.
● ____Get programmable thermostat. Lower thermostat in winter; raise it in summer.
Change settings when away. Use ceiling fans.
● ____Clean/ replace filters for all appliances/furnace with filters.
● ____Replace all incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs
● ____When not in use, turn off lights, TV, computer, appliances. Prefer natural light.
● ____Turn off TV, computer, microwave, etc. at the strip/ plug.
● ____Run full loads in dish washer, washer, and dryer. Use short cycles/ clothes line.
● ____Use microwave/ toaster oven/ slow cooker rather than oven/range.
● ____Set refrigerator at 36F to 42F, freezer at -5F to +6F, and water heater at 120F.
● ____Use cold or warm water when washing clothes; rinse in cold water.
● ____Insulate walls/ attic. Repair leaks around windows/doors. Lock windows to seal.
● ____Repair hot water leaks. Insulate water heater (“blanket”) + hot water pipes (wrap).
● ____Use non-toxic dish detergent and laundry detergent.
● ____Use safe cleaning products either purchased or homemade.
● ____Avoid spray or disposable products for cleaning, air-freshening, and cooking.
● ____Do not let water run while doing tasks.
● ____Install low-flow shower heads and faucet aerators.
● ____Repair faucet leaks and toilet runs immediately.
● ____Take a short shower rather than a bath, and shower less often.
● ____Wash dishes and laundry on full load.
● ____Buy fair-trade products.
● ____Buy organic products.
● ____Buy local produce and products.
● ____Buy only what you will consume, and then use all you buy.
● ____Put on your plate only what you will eat, and then eat all on your plate.
● ____Eat fewer (or no) meat meals each week. Have a “hunger” meal each week.
● ____Use recycled, post-consumer paper products for kitchen, bathroom, and cleaning.
● ____Avoid paper towels; use cloth napkins and handkerchiefs.
● ____Use electronic media rather than paper.
● ____Use recycled, post-consumer, acid-free note/office paper or paper from tree farm.
● ____Use the paper completely on both sides.
● ____Avoid bright-colored paper.
Reduce/ Recycle/ Reuse
● ____Avoid use of paper, plastic, and Styrofoam in plates, cups, and utensils.
● ____Recycle glass, tin, plastic, newsprint, mixed paper, cardboard, etc.
● ____Recycle batteries, printer cartridges, cell phones, plastic bags.
● ____Safely dispose of computers, printers, paint, and other toxic products.
● ____Do not put grease or strong chemicals down drains.
● ____Buy products with less packaging.
● ____Compost food scraps and lawn clippings.
● ____Use canvas bags for shopping or reuse paper/plastic when shopping.
● ____When eating out, take your own plastic container for leftovers.
● ____Purchase high mileage car. Maintain engine/tire pressure. Change oil/air filter.
● ____Over 55 miles per hour, drive more slowly. Easy stops and starts. Do not idle.
● ____Where feasible walk, bicycle, and carpool.
● ____Green the work space and work practices: office, shop, factory, classroom, farm
● ____Advocate with employers to green your company, agency, or institution.
● ____Promote greening among fellow workers and clients/customers/students.
● ____Enjoy as kin the plants and pets in your living space.
● ____Take ten minutes a day to enjoy/love nature. Take a retreat with nature
● ____Use devotional materials that enhance your love of nature and your care for it.
6. PUBLIC COMMITMENTS
● ____Advocate for environmentally friendly legislation and policies.
● ____Restore a local habitat; protest a local environmental violation.
● ____Contribute to social justice organizations and environmental organizations.
● ____Invest in socially responsible stocks and bonds that foster eco-justice.