LUTHERANS RESTORING CREATION
Partnership with Synods of the ELCA
Lutherans Restoring Creation (LRC) is a church-wide program involving many partners: congregations, synods, seminaries, outdoor ministries, colleges, and church-wide offices.
LRC would like to establish a partnership with ELCA synods in bringing care for creation into the life of the church. A partnership with a synod would seek a mutual relationship of action and learning. Here are the things LRC may be able to contribute to the life of a synod
1. Provide an overall structure and program of resources for greening the synod—worship, education, property, personal discipleship, and commitment to public ministry.
2. Offer training workshops in care for creation goals and strategies (for synodical and congregational leaders) and make available programmatic resources to bring care for creation into the life and mission of congregations and institutions in the synod.
3. Provide a network of relationships between and among synods to share ideas and resources through an interactive website and a facebook-type communication site.
4. To recommend video and book resources and to develop a speakers bureau.
5. To offer a process and program of registration that would suggest some goals toward which to work and that would provide support over time to bring care for creation into the full identity and mission of the synod.
6. To respond positively to requests for new resources, training, and consultation.
Here are some things ELCA synods can contribute to the partnership.
1. To provide continuing education events for professional leadership in your synod. This may take the form of conferences, lectures, workshops, and retreats.
2. Participate actively in LRC training events by sending representatives for training and agree to hold an eco-faith event in your synod.
3. Bring resources and training in creation-care and environmental-justice ministry to congregations within your synod. This can take a variety of forms: courses, forums, workshops, public lectures.
4. To encourage cooperative creation-care efforts in synodical clusters and local communities—Lutheran, ecumenical, and interfaith.
5. Model creation-care at the synod offices and in synodical events. Promote creation-care among the committees and task forces of the synod.
6. Share the actions, events, projects, and resources in your synod with other synods in the LRC network. Consult the reports of other synods as a way to enhance your ministry.
We invite you to develop some innovative ways to participate in LRC and creative ways to promote it among all segments of the ELCA. Encourage pastors and congregations to adopt Lutherans Restoring Creation. As opportunities arise, promote Lutherans Restoring Creation in the wider church